Monday, June 4, 2012

It wouldn't be Peru if [insert here]...


An outbreak of lice? Suspected bed bugs? Oh the lengths you will go to, Piura, to prevent me from fully enjoying my experience.

Having said that, the trip has been very rewarding thus far. Yesterday, we went to mass out in the community. After having a picnic lunch, we had the opportunity to venture into Catacaus (where we went shopping!!) and a town I did not make it to last year. I even met an artist and bought my token travel painting! Later that afternoon we went to Madre del Redentor, which is a girls’ home run by nuns. The girls come from the mountain villages to escape potential victimization by their male community members. While at the school, they gain an education and learn different trades, so that when they have to leave (at 18) they are able to provide for themselves. The girls have big hearts, as evidenced by their willingness to disregard my “spalian” (or my Italian infused Spanish). The girls performed traditional Peruvian and Bolivian dances for us and we had the opportunity to participate with the Macharana and Shakira’s “Hips Don’t Lie”. 

As I reflect on my incredibly itchy, forty bug bites, I realize that maybe they are the constant reminder to be open to the experience and appreciative of my opportunity to be here. Tonight Katie (my bunkmate) and I will be adding a mosquito net as well as some serious Off! application. 

No comments:

Post a Comment