Saturday, June 2, 2012

Peru: Take Two

For those of you loyal viewers, thank you for tuning in again. As you know, I am back for my second stint in Peru and thus far it has been a healthy dose of déjà vu.


Due to the abrupt and bittersweet nature of my experience last year, I was filled with both excitement and anxiety about returning to Peru again. The challenge for me was continuing to be appreciative of the “double” opportunity that most MU nursing students do not get to partake in and yet I was blessed with twice. I know once I settle back into the daily routine, breathe in the humid air, and hear the mototaxi horns for a few days, I will learn the poignant reason behind the cliché “everything happens for a reason.”

I arrived in Lima last night around 9:00 pm and proceeded to spend the next 4 hours getting to know the girls in the group while we awaited the arrival of Dr. Weis and some of the other participants. Around 1:15 am we arrived at our hostel for the night where I had the privilege of getting a private room with a warm shower (potentially the last of that luxury for 30 days). At 9:00 we were given a private tour of Lima’s most beautiful sites including a tour of the St. Francis catacombs and the Mayor’s Plaza (Pictures to follow). From there we left for the airport.

After departing again at 5:00, we arrived back at the parish Sacramento Santissimo where I was greeted with “wagging pointer fingers” and open arms. It feels wonderful to be back. I can’t wait to pick up where I left off. I’m off to bed, but as always, love from Piura, Hailey.

No comments:

Post a Comment